Thursday, March 8, 2012

Indonesia's Rare Car Moment


I see something unusual right there...

In Indonesia, there are a lot of cars here, mostly in Jabodetabek (Jakarta - Bogor - Depok - Tangerang - Bekasi) area. Most of them are just conventional cars, like people carriers, MPVs, minibuses, saloons, etc; the normal ones. There also sports cars and exotic supercars, but so many compared to the conventional cars. But well, Indonesia has a supercar is just quite a sight. But not as quite as I just want to tell you. This post is about a car that very unusual to see in the most places around Indonesia, which I called it "Rare Car".

Car scooping is one of my usual hobby as a car lover. Since then, there's a problem. I just don't have a proper camera to scoop a car. So I just do it with my phone camera (currently using Samsung S5253 Wave525).

The one right now is a car that I just scoop quite recently. It's on last Monday when I want to go back to my guest house in Depok. Just to tell you, my house is in BSD City, Tangerang Selatan, which quite far from Depok. Then, in a junction, I found this car.


It's in front of a Suzuki pick-up. From far, I saw the car logo. It's like a Rover logo. So, Rover; it's rare here in Indonesia since there's no history of Rover opening a local dealership here. And I also don't know so much about Rover either. So I go nearer.


This is a back part of the car. Since there's no emblem there, I still can't figure it out what Rover is that. So, as I enters a toll road, I manage to scoop the front part of the car as well. And here it is:


Here's the front part of the car. My job is finish. So I pass the car, go back to my guest house, turn on the laptop, connect to the internet, and search the info of that Rover.

And that Rover is........


A Rover 200 Cabriolet. The one I scoop is the second generation, codenamed R8. It sells around 1989 to 1995. The cabriolet version was available in 1992. The R8 model also available in hatchback, coupe, and estate model. And in 1993, both coupe and cabriolet were sold by just Rover Coupe or Cabriolet on its name, without the 200 tag on it. So that's the reason why there's no "200" emblem on the back of the car.

The engine for both coupe and cabriolet in 1993 onwards were using Rover's 1.6 liters K-series engine, producing around 109 - 111 HP.

The Rover 200 were also available in saloon model, named Rover 400. It start sells in 1990, a year after the R8 model was launched. I saw the saloon model last year in Depok. But I can't scoop it because I was distracted by surroundings, while the car was already go away. Too bad >.<


The Rover 400 (R8) saloon

And also, for the one who don't know this, the Rover 200 is the predecessor of MG ZR, which basically a "hot hatch" version of the Rover 25 (4th generation of Rover 200). That car also famous in the motorsport world, especially in rally.


The normal MG ZR


The MG ZR Rally Car

That's all about this time's rare car moment. I hope you enjoy this post. There also numerous collection of Indonesia's rare car picture on my laptop. I hope I can share all of them here in this blog. Then, see you on the next post :D

2 comments:

  1. What do you think is the BEST CAR EVER? Comment in the link to let us know: What is the Best Car Ever?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article,i enjoy reading it.
    www.autobazaar.co.ke
    www.autotalk.co.ke

    ReplyDelete